[Bloat] benefits of ack filtering

Neal Cardwell ncardwell at google.com
Thu Nov 30 09:51:56 EST 2017

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 5:24 AM, Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree that TCP itself should generate ACK smarter, on receivers that
> are lacking GRO. (TCP sends at most one ACK per GRO packets, that is
> why we did not feel an urgent need for better ACK generation)
>
> It is actually difficult task, because it might need an additional
> timer, and we were reluctant adding extra complexity for that.

How about just using the existing delayed ACK timer, and just making the
delayed ACK logic a bit smarter? We could try using the existing logic and
timers, but using something adaptive instead of the magic "2" MSS received
to force an ACK.

> An additional point where huge gains are possible is to add TSO
> autodefer while in recovery. Lacking TSO auto defer explains why TCP
> flows enter a degenerated behavior, re-sending 1-MSS packets in
> response to SACK flood.

Yes, agreed. I suspect there is some simple heuristic that could be
implemented to allow TSO deferral for most packets sent in recovery. For
example, allowing TSO deferral once the number of packet bursts (TSO skbs)
sent in recovery is greater than some threshold. Perhaps TSO deferral would
be fine in Recovery if we have sent, say, 10 skbs, because at that point if
the ACK stream from the original flight dries up due to massive/tail loss,
we have probably sent enough data in the new flight in Recovery to ensure
some kind of ACKs come back to keep the ACK clock going.

neal