[Bloat] emulating non-duplex media in linux qdiscs

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Mon Oct 9 12:53:12 EDT 2017

<erik.taraldsen at telenor.com> writes:

> Half duplex is the term you are looking for
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_(telecommunications)

"A duplex communication system is a point-to-point system composed
of two connected parties or devices that can communicate with one
another in both directions."

wifi is not p2p, all data is broadcast to many potential recievers,
only one can transmit at one time.

Saying that is half duplex, doesn't work for me. In their example of
"half duplex", (using push to talk), it still means that everybody on
that channel hears who is talking. "half duplex" to me, given the
definition of duplex, means more that there is a *p2p* channel (a wire),
that you can ping pong data across.

This conflation of ideas has always bugged me and I've longed to find
another word that more accurately describes what happens, therefore
I've been saying "non-duplex".

> Simplex is one way communication like traditional AM radio.

wifi/lte are not very similar similar to AM radio.

> Within emulation I'm not sure how to set this up with qdiscs, but you can often set the network interface to half duplex with ethtool. Not sure if this solves your task though.

Nope.