[Bloat] Bufferbloat in high resolution + non-stationarity

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Mon Oct 16 16:26:56 EDT 2017

Sorry for the late reply.

Martin Geddes <mail at martingeddes.com> writes:

> Folks,
>
> I have uploaded a presentation of high-fidelity network performance measures
> which includes an example of bufferbloat in high resolution, as possibly you
> have never seen it before.

Well, flent can generate a similar level of detail under a generated
load. Some of kathie's work can now do it against tcp on pcaps.

Was yours against general traffic?

> See slide 18 of this deck:
> https://www.slideshare.net/mgeddes/stationarity-is-the-new-speed. The classic
> "bloat" is a sudden formation of the queue, and a very slow (and steady)
> draining. Bufferbloat is just one form of statistical variability
> ("non-stationarity") in packet networks.

Good set of slides. Analysis is picking up...

Where you and I always tend to fall off a cliff is on your conclusions
as to what to do about it, e.g. slide 19. I'd rather love it if you
repeated your tests and graphs against pie, and fq_codel, and/or cake.

For that matter BBR might be interesting against your tool.

And then say what you'd do differently. In some way I can repeat.

> For a world record winner, see this one where packets take over a minute (Huawei
> WiFi hotspot roaming in Ireland with UK SIM)! Or for a pretty picture of buffers
> draining, try this one.

Well, at the moment gogo-in-flight holds the interplanetary record
(680sec as I recall), but yea, 60+ seconds is up there. Contact
Guinness!