[Bloat] fq_codel setting optimization for slow links

Nick darknovanick at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 14:42:13 EDT 2017

Hello,

I am using fq_codel on a Ubiquiti EdgeMax router. Whereas it seems like
many people running this router are focusing on really fast connections, I
have slow DSL connection with a 400 kbps uplink.

I'm trying to figure out if there are some recommended fq_codel settings
for slow links like mine, or a way of optimizing my settings?

The best I've been able to find so far is:
https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Best_practices_for_benchmarking_Codel_and_FQ_Codel/

which makes it seem like I should set the "target" to at least 13 ms (or
more?), set "limit" to 600 (or less?), disable ECN on the uplink.

These settings I found are still for links several times faster than mine,
so I'm wondering how I should change them, or if there is a good way to try
varying something and measure this to determine the proper numbers. Thanks
for the help,

Nick