[Bloat] different speeds on different ports? (benchmarking fun)

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Sep 21 07:16:16 EDT 2017

> It would be interesting if we could run some netperf tests using port
> 80/443 for the listening socket for the data connection (although if
> doing deep-packet inspection, we might need to use an actual HTTP
> transfer).

Trouble with this is that netserver would have to run as root to be able
to bind to the ports; it does that dynamically, so binding at startup
and dropping privileges won't work. Also it would mean that no other
services could run on those ports.

For your use case, my guess would also be differences in the server
connection (or peering), though. I do believe dslreports will open
connections to multiple servers; you could try running one of the
rtt_fair Flent tests against multiple servers to see if you can push
more data that way...

-Toke