[Bloat] Seen in passing: mention of Valve's networking scheme and RFC 5348

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Apr 4 03:01:09 EDT 2018

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018, Michael Welzl wrote:

> Sure, when you’re in control of both ends of a connection, you can build
> whatever you want on top of UDP - but there’s a lot of wheel
> re-inventing there. Really, the transport layer can’t change as long as
> applications (or their libraries) are exposed to only the services of
> TCP and UDP, and thereby statically bound to these transport protocols.

I'm aware of TAPS and I have been trying to gather support for this kind
of effort for years now, and I'm happy to see there is movement. I have
also heard encouraging talk from several entities interested in actually
doing serious work in this area, including some opensourcing part of their
now non-FOSS code-base as part of that work.

So we need applications to be able to get more access to what's going on
the wire, including access to non-TCP/UDP, but also to be able to create
"pluggable TCP-stacks" so that a host can have several different ones, and
the user can install new ones even on older operating systems.

With more and more IPv6 around, I hope we'll be able to deploy new
protocols that are not TCP/UDP (A+P), and that this will bring back some
innovation in that area.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se