[Bloat] Seen in passing: mention of Valve's networking scheme and RFC 5348

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Apr 4 06:52:52 EDT 2018

On Wed, 4 Apr 2018, Luca Muscariello wrote:

> And yes, flow queueing, absolutely. Flow isolation, becomes fundamental
> is such a zoo, or jungle.

There was talk in IETF about a transport protocol that was proposed to do
a lot of things TCP doesn't do, but still retain some things that has been
useful with TCP.

I think it was this one:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-gue/

I'd like to see it not over UDP, but rather as a native IP protocol. The
talk was about having the network being able to look into the state
machine of the protocol (MSS size, equivalent of SYN, etc) but not into
payload (which would be end-to-end encrypted). It would also be able to do
muxed streams/message based to avoid head-of-line-blocking because of
single packet loss.

So any of this that comes up then the whole FQ machinery might benefit
frmo being able to identify flows in any new protocol, but I imagine this
is not a hard thing to do. I still have hopes for the flow label in IPv6
to do this job, even though it hasn't seen wide adoption so far.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se