[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] beating the drum for BQL

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Aug 23 10:22:07 EDT 2018

Hi Jan,

> On Aug 23, 2018, at 22:57, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 23/08/18 15:06, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
>> 	Or we could convince customers to stop buying toy router's that only work under a severely limited set of circumstances and opt for devices that pack enough CPU-punch to be actually adequate for modern internet speed tiers, no? Now if the packet accelerator is jus there to help save energy for typical cases but the CPU is powerful enough to handle a modern line with all the bells and whistles customers except, then I am all for it, but if the packet accelerator is just there to paper over an anemic CPU...
>
> Not realistic, and also not environmentally friendly.

	I unhappily agree with the first (market forces being what they are); I claim the second is untrue, since I stipulated packet accelerators as a way save energy and alllowing a competent main CPU to idle in low power mode, but pack the punch if needed. That sounds more environmentally sane than the current model in which you have to replace the incompetent router by a more competent one later... (and my issue is not that a router needs to last forever, but the e.g. an ISP supplied router should be able to handle at least the sold plan's bandwidth with its main CPU...)

> Doing packet forwarding in hardware is much more energy efficient, for
> example. So not only is the hardware cheaper, it doesn't generate as
> much heat, is cheaper to run, etc.

	Sure doing less/ a half asses job is less costly than doing it right, but in the extreme not doing the job at all saves even more energy ;). And I am not sure we are barking up the right tree here, it is not that all home CPE are rigorously optimized for low power and energy saving... my gut feeling is that the only optimizing principle is cost for the manufacturer/OEM and that causes underpowered CPU that are packet-accerlerated"-doped to appear to be able to do their job. I might be wrong though, as I have ISP internal numbers on this issue.

Best Regards
	Sebastian