[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] beating the drum for BQL

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Aug 24 09:36:20 EDT 2018

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018, Dave Taht wrote:

> My ar71xx/ath9 hw - like nanostations - was below 2w. wndr3800 don't
> remember, I think the the ethernet switch added quite a bit. But 8Ws?
> not even close to that. A modern LED lightbulb eats that and sheds quite
> a lot of light.

My very simple and stupid 1GE SFP/ethernet fiber media converter, uses
4.3W when idling.

> Random curiosity: what do various SFP+ interfaces (notably gpon) eat?
> has anyone got a gpon interface for the omnia yet? I *hate* the need
> for ONTs.

These can easily be 1-2 Watts. I put in a 1GE SFP into the before
mentioned Broadcom HGW and power usage went up from 9.4W to 10.2W. So if
it's a GPON or similar then I'd imagine it's substantially more
considering that it's quite a lot more things a GPON device needs to do.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se