[Bloat] debloats/day metric?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 12:57:36 EDT 2018

I'm always casting about for some simple metric, some simple phrase,
that we can use to describe what we're about. Lately - without
formally defining it mathematically as yet - I've been talking about
"badwidth" - what you get from your typical ISP - and "goodwidth",
what debloating does - which originally sprang from me typo-ing
"bandwidth".

More recently I tried combatting the perception that packet
drops/marks are "bad", by renaming them to "debloats/day".

Codel kicks in rarely, but I'm pretty sure every time it does it saves
on a bit of emotional upset and jitter for the user. For example I get
about 3000 drops/ecn marks a day one inbound 100mbit/20mbit campus
link (about 12,000 on the wifi links), and outbound a mere ~100 or so.

But: Every one of those comforts me 'cause I feel like I'm saving a
~500ms latency excursion for all the users of this (640ms badwidth
down/280ms up) comcast link.

I am kind of curious as to y'all's regular "debloats/day"?

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619