[Bloat] Marvell 385

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 16:53:31 EDT 2018

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 11:44 AM Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Aug 2018, Dave Taht wrote:
>
> > The expressobin is a Marvell Armada "3700LP (88F3720) dual core ARM
> > Cortex A53 processor up to 1.2GHz" - how does that compare? I have
> > plenty of ath10k and ath9k pcmcia cards....
>
> I have one of these, incl wifi. Right now the drivers are not in great
> shape, but they're being worked on. My espressobin has worse performance
> than on its wired ports than my WRT1200AC (Armada 385).
>
> I have talked to people who say the drivers are being worked on though...
> If you have input, Kaloz is probably a great person to take that input. I
> know other people working on Marvell drivers as well.

My simple pushback has basically been that if you wanted your wifi
chip to stay competitive with qualcomm, you needed to implement
something like "ending the anomaly". It was kind of my hope that mgmt
at multiple wifi firms would get scared enough to go resource
engineers doing that (with or without our help), and wifi would
improve for everyone dramatically.

I like competition and races for excellence.

I don't care if it ends up in the firmware or (with sufficient stats
coming out of the firmware), in the mac80211 layer. I wish we could
have produced a bsd-licensed version, but I like to think the paper's
clear enough, and the benchmarks, also.

I wish(ed) I could go fiddle a bit more with ax and ac, as there are
some good air stats underused as yet. I really wished to find a
android wifi interface worth hacking on.

but I'm done here, gotta do something else.

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619