[Bloat] [Make-wifi-fast] [Cerowrt-devel] closing up my make-wifi-fast lab

Luca Muscariello luca.muscariello at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 03:24:10 EDT 2018

Jonathan,

Not that giant handwaving though.
IEEE 802.11ax makes use of "almost TDM" RTS/CTS and scheduling. The almost
is necessary as it operates in 2.4/5Ghz bands.
Similar to what you describe, and is coming very soon in shipping products.

RTS/CTS is still a LBT to create a window where TDM can be done.
I don't yet see how a non private spectrum can be shared  w/o LBT.

On the other hand, medium sharing is one thing, the other thing is
capacity.
There is no way to efficiently share a medium if this is used close to its
theoretical capacity.

Capacity as #of stations per band including #SSID per band. Today scaling
can be achieved
with careful radio planning for spatial diversity or dynamic bean forming.

When you approach capacity with WiFi you only see beacon traffic and almost
zero throughput.
Cannot forget Mobile World Congress where you can measure several thousands
of SSIDs on 2.4
and several hundreds of SSID in 5GHz. But even LTE was very close to
capacity.

Dave,
Having air time fairness in open source is a significant achievement. I
don't see a failure.

Luca