[Bloat] debloats/day metric?

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Mon Aug 27 03:44:26 EDT 2018

Not sure how to answer exactly, but I’m interested in some way to measure bloat more directly both instantaneously and over time. My current plan for instantaneous measurement is to modify irtt to send request pairs, one given strict priority at the bottleneck and one best effort, then measure the difference between the two (for both RTT and OWD).

Assuming this yields useful data, maybe there is a long-term stat that could be derived from it that indicates how much bloat there is for a given link, or how well it has been mitigated.

For interest, here are abbreviated cake stats from 12 hours at the camp (~40Mbit p2p WiFi), so double those for an approximate daily stat:

Egress:
                  Tin 0
  pkts         12327019
  bytes      3838819739