[Bloat] an observation from the field

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 13:07:35 EDT 2018

In looking over the increasingly vast sqm-related deployment, there's
a persistent data point that pops up regarding inbound shaping at high
rates.

We give users a choice - run out of cpu at those rates or do inbound
sqm at a rate their cpu can afford.  A remarkable percentage are
willing to give up tons of bandwidth in order to avoid latency
excursions (oft measured, even in these higher speed 200+Mbit
deployments, in the 100s of ms) -

At least some users want low delay always. It's just the theorists
that want high utilization right at the edge of capacity. Users are
forgiving about running out of cpu - disgruntled, but forgiving.

Certainly I'm back at the point of recommending tbf+fq_codel for
inbound shaping at higher rates - and looking at restoring the high
speed version of cake - and I keep thinking a better policer is
feasible.

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619