[Bloat] paper: per flow fairness in a data center network

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 22:18:49 EST 2018

While I strongly agree with their premise:

"Multi-tenant DCNs cannot rely on specialized protocols and mechanisms
that assume single ownership and end-system compliance. It is
necessary rather to implement general, well-understood mechanisms
provided as a network service that require as few assumptions about DC
workload as possible."

... And there's a solid set of links to current work, and a very
interesting comparison to pfabric, their DCTCP emulation is too flawed
to be convincing, and we really should get around to making the ns2
fq_codel emulation fully match reality. This is also a scenario where
I'd like to see cake tried, to demonstrate the effectiveness (or not!)
of 8 way set associative queuing, cobalt, per host/per flow fq, etc,
vs some of the workloads they outline.

https://perso.telecom-paristech.fr/drossi/paper/rossi18hpsr.pdf

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com