[Bloat] link saturation test failing

Dev dev at logicalwebhost.com
Thu Dec 27 12:29:38 EST 2018

I’m running Debian Buster, trying to saturate a link, enable fq_codel and drop my ping times back down, but they seem to stay high.

I connected machine A and B to a gig switch, then dropped the port speed on machine A like:

ethtool -s enp8s0 advertise 0x002

Then verified the link lights on switch show 10M. Then try to enable fq_codel and swamp link like:

tc qdisc add dev enp8s0 root fq_codel

dd if=/dev/urandom | ssh user at 192.168.10.150 dd of=/dev/null

I still have high ping times (10msec vs 0.5 msec). I try to saturate with iperf and the same thing happens. Then I try to look at fq_codel like:

tc qdisc show dev enp8s0
qdisc fq_codel 8001: root refcnt 6 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 32Mb ecn

and

tc -g -s class show dev enp8s0
+---(:5) mq
|       Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
|       backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

+---(:4) mq
|       Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
|       backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

+---(:3) mq
|       Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
|       backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

|       Sent 0 bytes 0 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
|       backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

        Sent 248411320 bytes 164594 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 4)
        backlog 0b 0p requeues 4

But I don’t really know what I should be looking for/doing.

-Dev