[Bloat] Issue of bloat repeatability

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Sun Feb 4 10:36:27 EST 2018

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 3:22 PM, Bruno George Moraes <brunogm0 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So, i'm testing the so called "fiber" 15/1.5mbps recently installed here.
> The max bloat in upload was 4800ms in the first day;  Some calls later and
> days of testing,  last sunday there was a nice 50ms max upload.
>
> Then came monday night,  again 4xxxms, but also +200ms in download;  Ok
> lests call again for the ISP to fix...
>
> Two days later, ISP guy came with his laptop and then the bufferbloat test
> showed 700ms upload;  Change (ethernet cable) to my laptop 4200ms, again
> his 600ms; !!!

​Have you checked where the bufferbloat is?  While it is most commonly in
the "last mile" or wifi hops, on some ISP's you'll find bloat inside their
network, and/or peering points between your ISP and where the test server
is.

Sometimes it's like a willow the wisp, and moving from minute to
minute..... (or second to second, between an ISP and your WiFi hop, when
the two hops have similar goodput).  Whenever you detect bloat, your next
(ideally simultaneous) action is to diagnose which hop(s) are problematic.

                                                   - Jim
​