[Bloat] occasionally, there's good news to be had for the Internet.

Luca Muscariello luca.muscariello at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 04:25:09 EST 2018

Next challenge: FQ into silicon...

One of the reasons of what Jim describes under the "Here lies madness"
section
is related to silicon built-in functionalities and the ability to update
software in edge-routers.

Many chipcos build their board with several  CPU offloading mechanisms,
e.g.
to support 1Gbps in the home.

My home router uses a fourth-generation BCM3384 euro-DOCSIS 3.0
System-on-a-Chip (SoC)
capable of 1Gbps downstream speeds by bonding up to 24x8 DOCSIS channels.
One at 600MHz for the modem and one for the OS at 1GHz.

I get 1Gbps downstream reliably and excessive latency too, ...reliably.

It's a Linux box in the end but no way to enable FQ_codel based on the
current architecture
as TCP pipelines are offloaded to silicon.

the are all sort of acceleration in the SoC, so I don't see it impossible
to get FQ there.