[Bloat] Need Guidance on reducing bufferbloat on a Fedora-based router

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Sat Jan 20 14:22:05 EST 2018

(Adding the bloat list back as CC)

> Well there are two things that are bothering me. The first is that I've
> gone from 8 queues down to just 3 excluding the ingress queue and I just
> can't shake this feeling that there's got to be a better way to go about
> things.

Well, software shaping interacts badly with multiple hardware queues. If
you need the software shaper (whether that is Cake or HTB), you can't
also have multiple independent hardware queues. The shaper needs global
state for the shaped link, so you would have to synchronise across
queues anyway, even if it was supported by the shaper.

Besides, on the box you're running, you probably don't need the large
number of hardware queues to push 1 Gbps... So unless you are seeing
a specific performance problem I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

-Toke