[Bloat] geoff huston's take on BBR

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Tue Jun 12 19:02:43 EDT 2018

> On 13 Jun 2018, at 1:58 am, Bless, Roland (TM) <roland.bless at kit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> no - I started the flows at 10, 20 and 30 seconds after the initial flow started.
>
> This is nevertheless advantageous for BBR, since it performs its
> ProbeRTT phase every 10s. So using 11, 23, and 34 seconds may
> make a difference in convergence speed (that was at least observed
> in our experiments).

I’m not sure that I follow this - It was my understanding that BBR used the RTT interval as its control timer, and maintained a constant send rate for 6 successive RTTY intervals, then inflated the sending r4ate by 25% for the next RTT interval and deflated it by the same amount for the next RTT interval. I don’t believe that there is any absolute timer in BBR along the lines of a 10 second timer that you appear to be suggesting here.

regards,

   Geoff