[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] Invisibility of bufferbloat and its remedies

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Jun 19 19:47:08 EDT 2018

On June 20, 2018 1:41:19 AM GMT+02:00, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 19 Jun, 2018, at 11:34 pm, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>>
>> Do we have a good cookbook on how to determine the set-rate?
>
>On DSL, the sync rates in each direction should usually be readable
>from the modem; they are typically reported on the router's status
>page.  The advertised rate is less reliable, to say the least.

Well many ISPs nowadays employ additional traffic shapers upstream of the dslam/MSAN, and it is this shaper's set-rate we would need to have. All we know is that this needs to be <= sync but the details differ. Also we need information about per packet overhead which again is not easily available for end-users. IMHO our best bet would be to get regulatory agancies to force ISPs to make this information easily available to end-users so that customers can actually compare different offers realistically, but I am not holding my breath for this to happen in my lifetime...

Best Regards
         Sebastian