[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] Invisibility of bufferbloat and its remedies

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Wed Jun 20 03:12:40 EDT 2018

> On 20 Jun 2018, at 00:41, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19 Jun, 2018, at 11:34 pm, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>>
>> Do we have a good cookbook on how to determine the set-rate?
>
> On DSL, the sync rates in each direction should usually be readable from the modem; they are typically reported on the router's status page.  The advertised rate is less reliable, to say the least.

I’ve been experimenting with this hack in sqm-scripts to do just that https://github.com/ldir-EDB0/sqm-scripts/commit/a71ab1c9acd75d6e9254360e832ac7b6f9514e88 originally on my parents DGN3500 and currently on my on BT HomeHub5a test line.

It fails to work if the ISP does rate banding (BT 20CN does this, BT 21CN doesn’t) where downstream is limited to a rate below downstream sync rate.  I guess a lookup table could be implemented.

Kevin