[Bloat] lwn.net's tcp small queues vs wifi aggregation solved

Eric Dumazet eric.dumazet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 08:55:45 EDT 2018

On 06/21/2018 02:22 AM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Nice war story. I'm glad this last problem with the fq_codel wifi code
>> is solved
>
> This wasn't specific to the fq_codel wifi code, but hit all WiFi devices
> that were running TCP on the local stack. Which would be mostly laptops,
> I guess...

Yes.

Also switching TCP stack to always GSO has been a major gain for wifi in my tests.

(TSQ budget is based on sk_wmem_alloc, tracking truesize of skbs, and not having
GSO is considerably inflating the truesize/payload ratio)

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=0a6b2a1dc2a2105f178255fe495eb914b09cb37a
tcp: switch to GSO being always on

I expect SACK compression to also give a nice boost to wifi.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=5d9f4262b7ea41ca9981cc790e37cca6e37c789e
tcp: add SACK compression

Lastly I am working on adding ACK compression in TCP stack itself.