[Bloat] lwn.net's tcp small queues vs wifi aggregation solved

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Jun 21 15:51:55 EDT 2018

Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> writes:

> 	To make up for the fact that wireless uses unfortunately uses a
> 	very high per packet overhead it just tries to "hide" by
> 	amortizing it over more than one data packet. How about trying
> 	to find a better, less wasteful MAC instead ;) (and now we have
> 	two problems...) Now really from a latency perspective it
> 	clearly is better to ovoid overhead instead of use "batching" to
> 	better amortize it since batching increases latency (I stipulate
> 	that there are condition in which clever batching will not
> 	increase the noticeable latency if it can hide inside another
> 	latency increasing process).

Seems that 802.11ax will have some interesting features to this end.
Specifically, the spectrum can be split, allowing smaller chunks of it
to be used for reverse path transmissions (full-duplex at last?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11ax#Technical_improvements

Also, 1024-QAM on 160Mhz channels; omg...

-Toke