[Bloat] lwn.net's tcp small queues vs wifi aggregation solved

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 20:44:00 EDT 2018

> On 26 Jun, 2018, at 3:36 am, Simon Barber <simon at superduper.net> wrote:
>
> Most hardware needs the packet finalized before it starts to contend for the medium (as far as I’m aware - let me know if you know differently). One issue is that if RTS/CTS is in use, then the packet duration needs to be known in advance (or at least mid point of the RTS transmission).

This is a valid argument.  I think we could successfully argue for a delay of 1ms, if there isn't already enough data in the queue to fill an aggregate, after the oldest packet arrives until a request is issued.

> If there are no other stations competing for airtime, why does it matter that we use two txops?

One further argument would be power consumption.  Radio transmitters eat batteries for lunch; the only consistently worse offender I can think of is a display backlight, assuming the software is efficient.

 - Jonathan Morton