[Bloat] geoff huston's take on BBR

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 08:00:30 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 4:40 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 12:36 AM, Bless, Roland (TM)
> <roland.bless at kit.edu> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Interesting. Potentially, all affectuated. After having applied the BBR
>>> 2.0, we might are back to Cubic? :D
>>
>> I don't understand what you're saying. I think Geoff tested BBR v1.0.
>> Explanations for the experienced behavior can be found in our paper
>> http://doc.tm.kit.edu/2017-kit-icnp-bbr-authors-copy.pdf, esp. section
>> 3. Geoff's findings in the wild nicely confirm our results that were
>> performed in more controlled lab settings. Important is though, that
>> you always test with multiple concurrent BBR flows...
>
> we always do that, 'round here, with flent. Glad more folk are doing it. :)

OK, I read your paper. (It's 4am, can't sleep)

My principal observation remains the same: e2e fairness is nearly
hopeless on short
timescales.

FQ solves most of it, and even if if the rfc8290 aqm component is
targetted at cubics
response curve (and bbr treats it as noise), the resulting delay curve
in the fq'd
environment seemed to get BBR on the right track on it's first probe
(except when many flows were
started concurrently), but I didn't delve deep into it at the time.

I would love it if you could redo your tests with cake managing the
bottleneck link.
(we've got a bug in the thing right now at 40+gige, but...)

https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.07617