[Bloat] eero adds sqm

Török Edwin edwin+ml at etorok.eu
Tue May 29 16:37:54 EDT 2018

On 29/05/18 18:09, Dave Taht wrote:
> I am so happy to see some companies have the ability to update
> existing systems in the field to have better queue management
> software. I rather liked eeros little boxes, and they were some of the
> first folk to pay attention to the fq_codel on wifi work, and now,
> uplinks.
>
>  https://blog.eero.com/introducing-eero-labs-building-future-home-wifi/

The eero itself looks nice, however be careful of the Arris cable modem
they offer.

I don't know if all Arris modems are like this, but my current ISP uses
an Arris based cable modem containing a Puma 6 chipset, which has a very
annoying high latency bug [2] that more than a year later is still
unfixed in the production firmware [1].

At first I thought my WiFi signal was bad, but if I ping the router on
wired LAN several times a minute you get >50ms latency spikes. Using any
kind of bufferbloat management behind the router is hopeless with the
wired connection being this bad, even in modem mode.
I should probably switch to a different ISP...

[1]
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency-Cause/td-p/3271492
[2]
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/