[Bloat] About Setting Bandwidth limit with or without ethernet overhead?

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Wed Nov 7 14:28:47 EST 2018

Y <intruder_tkyf at yahoo.fr> writes:

> Hi, I am Yutaka.
>
> I connect internet via ethenet.
> Shoud I set Bandwidth limit with or without ethernet overhead in any
> qdiscs?
> When I measured , It seems setting without ethernet overhead is
> correct.

It depends on your next hop's framing. If you are on ethernet going to
ethernet, then you should set ethernet. If you are on ethernet,
going through a cablemodem, set docsis. If you are on ethernet, going through
dsl or something else, you set the framing appropriately.

Without setting the framing appropriately you can run into
situations where your shaper can be 60% in accurate (dsl).