[Bloat] excellent result with OpenWrt 18.06.1 + CAKE on FTTH

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Nov 12 01:53:49 EST 2018

Hi,

I am running "stock" OpenWrt 18.06.1 on an WRT1200AC with
CAKE+piece_of_cake.qos and set to 250 down 100 up. This is on an ethernet
point-to-point FTTH connection in Stockholm, Sweden. Basically just
installed OpenWrt and then added the sqm-scripts-extra and luci-app-sqm
packages, went in and configured the correct settings in the web UI, and
then everything was great.

Biggest benefit with this FTTH setup is that I don't have to experience
the first-hop sceduler I had with my previous DOCSIS connection (that also
sometimes didn't do advertised bandwidth so I ended up getting 10-30ms of
bufferbloat).

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/41682104

The smokeping screenshots below show the difference between DOCSIS and
FTTH scheduler, but the much lower access RTT (1-2 ms ) and the lower PDV
(which seems to be several ms on DOCSIS but not on my P2P FTTH).

https://imgur.com/a/96dFdho

Thanks everybody for the excellent packaging and ease of use for end users
to get this to work. I've had this running now for 40 days without any
issue.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se