[Bloat] excellent result with OpenWrt 18.06.1 + CAKE on FTTH

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Nov 12 11:21:13 EST 2018

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Dave Taht wrote:

> Don't use this connection much, do you? :)

Last 4 week average is 300 kilobit/s up and 3000 kilobit/s down. So no.
Mostly streaming Netflix and similar things.

>>    marks             512
>
> and that you have at least one device with ecn enabled. Would this be
> OSX or IOS perhaps?

I typically turn it on on all devices I remember to turn it on. There are
plenty of iOS devices in the household, but also ECN enabled OSX machines.

> I don't suppose you have someone else "across town" you could run some
> benchmarks against?

Surely. I can run anything you need, I have 1GE ubuntu machine
~3ms away. What tests do you want me to run? I have ubuntu laptop here I
can run wired tests with. It already has flent installed, so just tell me
what you want me to do and test. If you want me to change qdisc settings
I'm going to need good instructions, I am not proficient in changing those
settings.

> Similarly, a cpu number under load. I note here, that splitting GSO
> has a big cost, (primarily in routing table lookup) and you can at
> these speeds, probably disable it.

sirq% peaks out around 35-40% when doing download at 250 megabit/s. Around
10% when doing upload at 100 megabit/s. Armada 385 is nice.

> I was also expecting 64k here. I imagine you are using modern linuxes
> that don't overuse TSO anymore, and osx and windows never got into it to
> the extreme that linux did.

root at wrt1200-hemma:~# uname -a
Linux wrt1200-hemma 4.14.63 #0 SMP Wed Aug 15 20:42:39 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se