[Bloat] one benefit of turning off shaping + fq_codel

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Fri Nov 23 06:47:57 EST 2018

> On Nov 13, 2018, at 5:54 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It turns out we are contributing to global warming.
>
> https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-temperature/m-p/2547046/highlight/true#M115060 <https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-temperature/m-p/2547046/highlight/true#M115060>

Would it be right to say that the biggest opportunity for reducing consumption is to avoid shaping, i.e. by adding BQL-like functionality to all classes of device drivers, and/or by deploying congestion control globally that avoids the need for it?

Other ideas: move queue management into hardware, power network equipment with renewables, or just use the Internet less. :)

Pete

(I noticed an audience member brought this up in Toke’s thesis defense)