[Bloat] when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?

Michael Richardson mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca
Tue Nov 27 08:19:04 EST 2018

Pete Heist <pete at heistp.net> wrote:
    > I was asked a related question by my local WISP, who wanted to know if
    > there would be any reason that fq_codel or Cake would be an improvement
    > over sfq specifically for some "noisy links” (loose translation from
    > Czech) in a backhaul that have some loss but also experience

If the drops are due to noise, then I don't think it will help.
The congestion signals should already getting made.
But, there are lots of cases where there is excessive buffers at the edge of
the backhaul, which is encouraging excessive traffic and thus congestion.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF at sandelman.ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-