[Bloat] when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Nov 27 08:49:53 EST 2018

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018, Luca Muscariello wrote:

> If you, Mikael don't want more than 10ms buffer, how do you achieve that?

class class-default
   random-detect 10 ms 2000 ms

That's the only thing available to me on the platforms I have. If you
would like this improved, please reach out to the Cisco ASR9k BU and tell
them to implement ECN and PIE (or something even better). They won't do it
because I say so, it seems. WRED is all they give me.

> You change the behaviour of the source and hope flow isolation is available.

Sorry, I only transport the packets, I don't create them.

> If you just cut the buffer down to 10ms and do nothing else, the only thing
> you get is a short queue and may throw away half of your link capacity.

If i have lots of queue I might instead get customer complaints about high
latency for their interactive applications.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se