[Bloat] one benefit of turning off shaping + fq_codel

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Tue Nov 27 17:07:12 EST 2018

> On Nov 27, 2018, at 8:09 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I wish I knew of a mailing list where I could get a definitive answer
> on "modern problems with async circuits", or an update on the kind of
> techniques the new AI chips were using to keep their power consumption
> so low. I'll keep googling.

I’d be interested in knowing this as well. This gives some examples of async circuits: https://web.stanford.edu/class/archive/ee/ee371/ee371.1066/lectures/lect_12.pdf <https://web.stanford.edu/class/archive/ee/ee371/ee371.1066/lectures/lect_12.pdf>

Page 43, “Bottom Line” mentions that asynchronous design has “some delay matching / overhead issues”. Apparently delay matching means getting the signal outputs on two separate paths to arrive at the same time(?) Presumably overhead refers to the 2x space on the die previously mentioned, for completion detection. Pages 23-25 on “data-bundling constraints” might also highlight some other challenges. Some more current material would be interesting though...