[Bloat] incremental deployment, transport and L4S (Re: when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?)

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 03:09:12 EST 2018

> On 29 Nov, 2018, at 9:46 am, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
>
> I don't know if I've asked this but is CAKE easily implementable in hardware?

I'd say the important bits are only slightly harder than doing the same with fq_codel.  Some of the less important details might be significantly harder, and could reasonably be left out.  The Diffserv bit should be nearly trivial to put in.

I believe much of Cake's perceived CPU overhead is actually down to inefficiencies in the Linux network stack.  Using a CPU and some modest auxiliary hardware dedicated to moving packets, not tied up in handling general-purpose duties, then achieving greater efficiency with reasonable hardware costs could be quite easy, without losing the flexibility to change algorithms later.

 - Jonathan Morton