[Bloat] when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Thu Nov 29 05:00:15 EST 2018

> On Nov 29, 2018, at 8:33 AM, Dave Taht <dave at taht.net> wrote:
>
> This whole thread, although diversive... well, I'd really like everybody
> to get together and try to write a joint paper on the best stuff to do,
> worldwide, to make bufferbloat go away.

+1

I don’t think it’s an accident that a discussion around CoDel evolved into a discussion around TCP.

If newer TCP CC algorithms can eliminate self-induced bloat, it should still be possible for queue management to handle older TCP implementations and extreme cases while not damaging newer TCPs. Beyond that, there may be areas where queue management can actually enhance the performance of newer TCPs. For starters, there’s what happens within an RTT, which I suppose can’t be dealt with in the TCP stack, and referring back to one of Jon’s messages from 11/27, the possibility for improved signaling from AQM back to TCP on the state of the queue. Global coordination could make this work better.

p.s.- Apologies for it taking me longer than an RTT to re-read the original CoDel papers and think through some implications. My original question might have been smarter.