[Bloat] incremental deployment, transport and L4S (Re: when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?)

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 07:52:55 EST 2018

> On 29 Nov, 2018, at 2:06 pm, Michael Welzl <michawe at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>
>> That's my proposal.
>
> - and it's an interesting one. Indeed, I wasn't aware that you're thinking of a DCTCP-style signal from a string of packets.
>
> Of course, this is hard to get right - there are many possible flavours to ideas like this ... but yes, interesting!

I'm glad you think so.  Working title is ELR - Explicit Load Regulation.

As noted, this needs standardisation effort, which is a bit outside my realm of experience - Cake was a great success, but relied entirely on exploiting existing standards to their logical conclusions.  I think I started writing some material to put in an I-D, but got distracted by something more urgent.

If there's an opportunity to coordinate with relevant people from similar efforts, so much the better.  I wonder, for example, whether the DCTCP folks would be open to supporting a more deployable version of their idea, or whether that would be a political non-starter for them.

 - Jonathan Morton