[Bloat] when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?

Mario Hock mario.hock at kit.edu
Thu Nov 29 12:07:45 EST 2018

Hi Luca,

I'm answering on behalf of Roland, since I am a co-author of the paper.

This is an excellent question, since it goes right at the heart of how
LoLa works.

Indeed, the paper is a first of a series. A second one, looking deeper
into the fair flow balancing mechanism, is currently under submission.

Similar as other delay based congestion controls, LoLa tries to achieve
fairness by allowing each flow to buffer the same amount of data at the
bottleneck. We have this, e.g., in TCP Vegas, and (in a way) also in
Copa (a recently proposed congestion control) and many others. If this
is achieved, we get flow rate fairness independent of a flow's RTT.

Usually (in other congestion controls) this "allowed amount of data" is
fixed per flow. We presume that this approach does not scale well to
high speed networks. Since the queuing delay resulting from this amount
of data is reduced with increasing bottleneck rate. Thus, it becomes
harder to measure it right. This can easily be seen (and proven) for TCP
Vegas.

Note: Just using higher fixed values is not an option, since it would
not work at lower speeds anymore and also not with a large number of flows.

Therefore, LoLa tries to find a suitable value for the "allowed amount
of data" dynamically. This is X(t).

Our approach is to grow X(t) over time during the Fair Flow Balancing
phase. This phase ends when the queuing delay reaches 5ms. Thus, (in the
ideal case) at the end of Fair Flow Balancing, X(t) is just as large
that all flows at bottleneck create a queuing delay of 5ms, and all
flows contribute equally to this queue. Hence, flow rate fairness is
achieved. (Note that LoLa is designed in a way that t is (almost)
synchronized among the competing flows.)

Generally, other ways of determining a suitable X(t) are conceivable. In
our approach X(t) is a monotonically increasing function, but it is
regularly reset as LoLa cycles between its states; i.e., after a queuing
delay of 5ms is reached, the queue is drained and everything starts
again. (Thus, the timespan where X(t) is monotonically increased is
called a "round of fair flow balancing".)

This way we can overcome the constraint given in [1]:

"""
THEOREM 6 (FAIRNESS/DELAY TRADEOFF). For congestion control mechanisms
that have steady state throughput of the kind R = f(d, p), for some
function f, delay d and feedback p, if the feedback is based on purely
end to end delay measurements, you can either have fairness or a fixed
delay, but not both simultaneously
"""

[1] "ECN or Delay: Lessons Learnt from Analysis of DCQCN and TIMELY"
Yibo Zhu et al., https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2999593

Best, Mario