[Bloat] when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Thu Nov 29 13:43:32 EST 2018

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 23:35:53 -0800
Dave Taht <dave at taht.net> wrote:

> > As someone who works with moving packets, it's perplexing to me to
> > interact with transport peeps who seem enormously focused on
> > "goodput". My personal opinion is that most people would be better off
> > with 80% of their available bandwidth being in use without any
> > noticable buffer induced delay, as opposed to the transport protocol
> > doing its damndest to fill up the link to 100% and sometimes failing
> > and inducing delay instead.

The problem is that any protocol is mostly blind to the underlying network
(and that can change).  To use dave's analogy it is like being put in
the driver seat of a vehicle blind folded.  When you step on the gas you
don't know if it is a dragster, jet fighter, or a soviet tractor. The only
way a protocol can tell is based on the perceived inertia and when
it runs into things...