[Bloat] when does the CoDel part of fq_codel help in the real world?

jf at jonathanfoulkes.com jf at jonathanfoulkes.com
Fri Nov 30 06:53:36 EST 2018

>>If I can restate that in a more concrete way: the queue may not drain at a smooth, constant rate.  There are several real-world link technologies which exhibit this behaviour - wifi and DOCSIS come to mind, not to mention 3G/4G with variable signal strength.

This!

Also, bottlenecks can move, such as when a DSLAMs backhaul reaches saturation for minutes/hours in the evenings as everyone tries to stream, and end-point connections drop to less than 50% of the local sync-rate worth of effective capacity.
Therefore AQM settings about link capacity should be thought of as a Max not necessarily current link capacity.

BTW- Amazing discussion, loving it.

Jonathan Foulkes