[Bloat] vyatta in AT&T 5G gear

Stefan Alfredsson stefan.alfredsson at kau.se
Tue Oct 16 05:59:18 EDT 2018

On 2018-10-16 11:31, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2018, Dave Taht wrote:
>
>> Vyos (the open source fork of vyatta) was one of the first to add
>> fq_codel support... I wonder....
>>
>> http://linuxgizmos.com/att-releases-white-box-spec-for-its-linux-based-5g-routers/
>>

> Isn't Vyos just running the Linux kernel for forwarding? So they
> received fq_codel for free when the Linux kernel got support for it?
> They just had to make it configurable?

Yes, according to this blog post,
http://www.five-ten-sg.com/mapper/blog/Bufferbloat%20solved%20with%20Vyos

"Now that Vyos "helium" is available with a Linux 3.13 kernel, the
fq_codel queueing discipline can be used to solve many bufferbloat
issues. The nightly "lithium" builds contain my patches that allow
fq_codel to be used via the native Vyos configuration system."

Anyway it's nice to see the Vyatta heritage living on in it's various
forms (the AT&T "production hardened" Vyatta, to the Ubiquity EdgeMax
and some UniFi devices, to the VyOS open version and now the future
plans with dNOS -> DANOS.

/Stefan