[Bloat] dslreports test reports showing a lot of improvement this year

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 07:51:05 EDT 2019

Lacking any way to get comprehensive data from the dslreports folk,
what I've been doing has been taking a screenshot of the thing
every so often, and sticking it in a presentation, and then comparing over time.

If you look at the third slide here, with data from 2018:

http://www.taht.net/~d/sch_cake_ieee_lanman2018%20(2).pdf

And then get a current report, things are really looking up!

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/results/bufferbloat?up=1

My problem is that I feel that the dslreports data is now seriously
over-polluted by folk that use the site to tune up their routers with
sqm/fq_codel/cake whatever, so I keep wondering what the real state O
the world is. It is pretty obvious that upload speeds have been
migrating upwards (without changing the buffer size), at least. I'm
pretty sure docsis 3.1 modems have not deployed to a huge extent, so
we're not seeing pie all that much. About the only way I can think of
to actually track the fq_codel and cake deployments would be to start
tracking ECE and ECN marks from apple gear.

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-831-205-9740