[Bloat] datapoint from one vendor regarding bloat

Holland, Jake jholland at akamai.com
Thu Apr 11 19:56:10 EDT 2019

On 2019-04-11, 11:29, "Jonathan Morton" <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> A question I would ask, though, is whether that 10ms automatically scales to the actual link rate, or whether it is pre-calculated for the fastest rate and then actually turns into a larger time value when the link rate drops.  That's a common fault with sizing FIFOs, too.

That's an interesting question and maybe a useful experiment, if somebody's
got one of these boxes.

But in practice do you expect link speed changes to be a major issue?  Would
this just be an extra point that should also be tuned if the max link speed is
changed dramatically by config and the policer is turned on (so there's, say, a
5% increased chance of misconfig and a reasonably diagnosable problem that a
knowledgebase post somewhere would end up covering once somebody's dug into it),
or is there a deeper problem if it's pre-calculated for the fastest rate?

-Jake