[Bloat] datapoint from one vendor regarding bloat

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Apr 12 05:47:16 EDT 2019

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019, Jonathan Morton wrote:

> So what this boils down to is a two-stage TBF policer.  From idle, such
> a system will let a burst of traffic through unfiltered, then start
> dropping once the bucket is empty; the bucket is refilled at some
> configured rate.  The two-stage system allows implementation of
> "PowerBoost" style policies.

I'm not so sure:

"Buffering (Enqueuing) Once a packet is assigned to a certain forwarding
class, it will try to get a buffer in order to be enqueued. Whether the
packet can get a buffer is determined by the instantaneous buffer
utilization and several attributes of the queue (such as Maximum Burst
Size (MBS), Committed Burst Size (CBS) and high-prio-only) that will be
discussed in more detail later in this chapter. If a packet cannot get a
buffer for whatever reason, the packet will get dropped immediately. "

The person I talked to yesterday insisted that they actually did 10ms of
*buffering* *bidirectionally*, because we specifically discussed policing
and buffering and the difference.

I have access to one of their devices in our lab, I'm going to do testing
of this in the next few weeks so I'll know for sure by then.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se