[Bloat] keeping the lights on at bufferbloat.net

Jonathan Foulkes jf at jonathanfoulkes.com
Tue Feb 5 08:45:28 EST 2019

Thanks for sharing that Toke, it is a very good animated explainer. I’ll be linking to it in some of my FAQ’s and articles.

A key point of this video is to illustrate capacity with large vehicles, that move much content, but themselves do not have ‘quick’ transit, or round-trip times. That correlates nicely with the metrics for RTT and CWND in speedtests.

Examples focusing on ’top-speed’ of vehicles is missing a bit of the point that Internet ’speed’ metric is truly more about capacity rather than responsiveness. I’ll be re-thinking the use of those.

Cheers,

Jonathan