[Bloat] Flent-farm costs

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Sat Feb 9 13:25:24 EST 2019

Given that donations cracked 160/month (thanks everyone), I would like
to refund yours, and possibly netperf.bufferbloat.net into a linode server in
atlanta. Not a nanoserver since it is loaded more than
anything else.

However I'd like to add you to the admin list (pls send ssh public key?)
and also borrow your iptables scripts!

As for the TB/month limit. I *think* our linode cluster is the sum total
of all linodes. We rarely crack 10% bandwidth usage/month currently.

Today's stats:

371GB Used, 17629GB Remaining, 18000GB Quota

As "for science!" I am currently unaware of anyone actually doing
science against any of the bufferbloat.net flent servers presently.

That said, I've always thought having stuff in "other clouds" made
sense, it's just that figuring out how to "use" and especially
*maintain* other clouds - like aws and google's that's always been a
problem.

anyway I booted a new $20 dual-cpu linode in atlanta just now. As I've lost
track of how to update bufferbloat.net (toke?) it is temporarily up at
flent-atlanta.taht.net. (or dns should propigate in an hour or or so).

It's such a joy to type a few apt commands and be "done" setting up a
theoretically bloat free node..... I'll do a few tests over the course
of the week. I have to admit the inital tests I ran were kind of
disappointing, losing for example a ton of udp. some of the "science" we
should have been doing was tracking what our cloudy provider was doing
underneath us and on the path!

http://flent-atlanta.taht.net/flent
from that node to yours:
                              avg       median          # data pts
 Ping (ms) ICMP   :        10.52        11.60 ms              347
 Ping (ms) UDP BE :       141.51         0.53 ms               40
 Ping (ms) UDP BK :       134.33         0.53 ms               25
 Ping (ms) UDP EF :       150.47         6.99 ms               70
 Ping (ms) avg    :       109.21        11.49 ms              350
 TCP download BE  :       221.67       221.47 Mbits/s         299
 TCP download BK  :       234.83       232.08 Mbits/s         299
 TCP download CS5 :       228.35       220.72 Mbits/s         299
 TCP download EF  :       194.07       193.26 Mbits/s         299
 TCP download avg :       219.73       224.68 Mbits/s         301
 TCP download sum :       878.92       898.15 Mbits/s         301
 TCP totals       :      1180.11      1189.00 Mbits/s         301
 TCP upload BE    :        83.56        80.19 Mbits/s         266
 TCP upload BK    :        80.84        79.49 Mbits/s         267
 TCP upload CS5   :        81.78        81.67 Mbits/s         267
 TCP upload EF    :        55.01        54.85 Mbits/s         263
 TCP upload avg   :        75.30        75.53 Mbits/s         301
 TCP upload sum   :       301.19       301.11 Mbits/s         301