[Bloat] fq_codel on bridge throughput test/config

Dev dev at logicalwebhost.com
Fri Jan 4 15:33:28 EST 2019

Okay, thanks to some help from the list, I’ve configured a transparent bridge running fq_codel which works for multiple subnet traffic. Here’s my setup:

Machine A ——— 192.168.10.200 — — bridge fq_codel machine B —— laptop C 192.168.10.150
Machine D ——— 192.168.3.50 — —|

On Machine A:

straight gigE interface 192.168.10.200

Bridge Machine B: enp3s0 mgmt interface
				enp2s0 bridge interface 1
				enp1s0 bridge interface 2
				br0 bridge for 1 and 2

	# The loopback network interface
	auto lo br0
	iface lo inet loopback

	# The primary network interface
	allow-hotplug enp3s0
	iface enp3s0 inet static
		 address 172.16.0.5/24
		 gateway 172.16.0.5
		dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8

 	iface enp1s0 inet manual
		 tc qdisc add dev enp1s0 root fq_codel

	 iface enp2s0 inet manual
		tc qdisc add dev enp2s0 root fq_codel

	 # Bridge setup
	iface br0 inet static
		bridge_ports enp1s0 enp2s0
		address 192.168.3.75
		broadcast 192.168.3.255
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		gateway 192.168.3

note: I still have to run this command later, will troubleshoot at some point (unless you have suggestions to make it work):

tc qdisc add dev enp1s0 root fq_codel

To start, my pings from Machine A to Laptop C were around 0.75 msec, then I flooded the link from Machine A to Laptop C using:

dd if=/dev/urandom | ssh user at 192.168.10.150 dd of=/dev/null

Then my pings went up to around 170 msec. Once I enabled fq_codel on the bridge machine B, my pings dropped to around 10 msec.

Hope this helps someone else working on a similar setup.

- Dev