[Bloat] Off-topic: What to Make of the U.K.’s New Code of Practice on Internet-of-Things Security

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Sat Jan 19 10:12:59 EST 2019

The definition of "faulty" is, fortunately, "settled law", probably
dating back as far as the era of Hanseatic League (a particular interest
of mine: the league was the invention of a packet
international-network-thingie where the packets were sailing ships).

In Canada, the courts would simply follow the legislation and precedent,
and the only way you could get off is by trying to interpret the caselaw
to say you were different.

For an example of the difficulty of weaseling out, see [6-8] in
https://www.canlii.org/en/nl/nlca/doc/1995/1995canlii9847/1995canlii9847.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAOZmF1bHR5IHByb2R1Y3QAAAAAAQ&resultIndex=2

As a more relevant example of a decision, I'd expect that an access
control system on a router with a hard-coded back door would be found
"not suitable for the purpose sold", and expose the authors to an order
for replacement. Even in current Canadian law, that particular example
(re Cisco routers) would put them on the wrong side of the definition of
fraud, and subject to being ordered to make it right.

Individual countries will vary in the details: in the US, different
States could even differ, but in broad strokes

  * it must be suitable for the purpose sold, at any age
  * it must not fail before it reaches a specified age
  * it may well have undiscovered faults, but the vendor must make them
    right once found, subject to age

--dave
Amusingly, I also found a Canadian case about concealing a backdoor
password, at [204] in
https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2009/2009canlii64185/2009canlii64185.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAIYmFja2Rvb3IAAAAAAQ&resultIndex=9