[Bloat] Packet reordering and RACK (was The "Some Congestion Experienced" ECN codepoint)

Ingemar Johansson S ingemar.s.johansson at ericsson.com
Thu Mar 14 04:26:20 EDT 2019

Hi

In addition to the below, in NR (=New Radio, a part of 5G) the RLC layer will
no longer ensure
in sequence delivery to higher layers. Packet reordering can occur on the MAC
layer as several HARQ (Hybrid ARQ) run simultaneously to transmit packets,
some processes need to retransmit and there you get packet reordering.
The PDCP layer can however (optionally) enforce in sequence delivery,
personally I am sceptic about the benefits of this as it adds extra HoL
blocking to solve a problem that RACK can solve. In addition it costs more
memory in nodes that potentially need to transmit 10s of GByte of data.

/Ingemar
======