[Bloat] [Ecn-sane] My (controversial) position paper on TCP

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Wed Mar 20 14:33:03 EDT 2019

On 2019-03-20 10:28 a.m., Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2019, Dave Taht wrote:
>
>> Another ietf idea that makes me crazy is the motto of "no host
>> changes" in homenet, and "dumb endpoints" - when we live in an age
>> where we have quad cores and AI coprocessors in everybody's hands.

Dumb endpoints is a huge change from the design of the internet (and
ARPAnet), with a dumb middle and smart ends:  I suspect the original
commentator was talking about mere /relative/ dumbness...

> This isn't a resource problem, it's a code problem. The IETF wants
> 10-15 year old hosts to be able to connect to a network and perform
> basic networking. It might not be very optimized, but the basic
> function should be there. New functionality can optimize for different
> factors, but making older host stop working is frowned upon.

Fortunately this is a solved problem in capacity planning: you replace
machines often enough that they're not constantly out of service being
repaired. 10 to 15 human-years is the equivalent of 70 to 105 of the
dog-years we use in this silly business (;-))

The oldest machine I use is a dps8-m, and I'll be slightly amazed if we
can provide native TCP. Right now I ssh into the virtual machine that's
running it, all so I can continue to fiddle around with Multics.

--dave (DavidBrown.TSDC at HI-Multics.ARPA) c-b